POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Journey to an Unknown Region [wip] : Re: Journey to an Unknown Region [wip] Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Journey to an Unknown Region [wip]
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 7 Dec 2009 23:16:12
Message: <4b1dd30c$1@news.povray.org>
TC wrote:

> You are right here. There are things like deep purple sunsets and pink
> sunrises or a sky-cloud combination on a somewhat rainy day in December that
> will illuminate a single tree like somebody trained a giant spotlight on it.
>
> Today I looked at ground-fog in a small forest glade, the fog filling the
> glade completely and maybe three feet high, a soft breeze stirring the fog,
> sending white tendrils skyward. It looked like a scene straight out of a
> horror B-movie.
>
> Nature can be unbelievably beautiful, in the truest sense of the word.
>
> One of the most strange sights I ever saw was on a November morning more
> than a decade past. In the night it was pretty warm for the season and water
> evaporating from the lake must have created a ground fog. Then the
> temperature dropped really quickly below zero and all trees near the lake
> were covered in webs of glittering frost, while the ground (being able to
> hold the warmth longer) was completely void of snow. The beauty lasted only
> one half-hour...

The most spectacular sight of this sort that I've seen was many years ago ('61 or
'62).  I was
in the (U.S.) Army stationed in Germany.  I was driving along a mountainside
overlooking a broad
valley with gentle rolling hills in it.  It was springtime, everything was green.  It
had been
raining but wasn't at the moment.  The sky was still heavily overcast keeping
everything
shadowed, except for a break in the clouds illuminating one hilltop -- with a castle
on it.  And
a rainbow right next to it.

Even though this was almost 50 years ago and I only got a brief glimpse of it, it was
such an
outstanding sight I still remember it vividly.

      -=- Larry -=-